Hello,

We're using Gradle to build programs we develop using Eclipse. All of our programs are stored in the a multi-project tree. Because we're using Eclipse, the folder structure within a program looks like this:

<programX>/workspace/subproject1
<programX>/workspace/subproject2
<programX>/workspace/subproject3
<programX>/workspace/gradle
<programX>/workspace/gradle/wrapper

The folder 'workspace' is our Eclipse workspace folder. Due to Eclipse limitations, this folder cannot contain files from our code repository.

The 'gradle' folder contains the global Gradle files 'settings.gradle', 'gradle.properties', the global 'build.gradle' and the 'gradlew' scripts. The 'settings.gradle' file contains all subprojects using the 'includeFlat' directive.

Every 'subproject?' folder contains a project specific 'build.gradle' file.

The problem with this setup comes when working from the command line: we can only execute 'gradlew' commands from the 'gradle' folder, not from any subproject folder. For it to work from other folders, we should rename the folder 'gradle' to 'master' as explained here: http://www.gradle.org/docs/current/userguide/build_lifecycle.html#sec:initialization

The folder name 'master' is not very clear in our programs, as we're often building client/server or master/slave -like programs. We'd like to see an option to override the name of the folder Gradle is looking for. As far as we can see, using a system property for this is the only way to do this as no configuration file is available at that point in Gradle execution.

I proposed a fix which does just that here: https://github.com/gradle/gradle/pull/191 .

Obviously, other solutions are welcome as well!

Kind regards,

Jeroen van der Vegt,
Technolution B.V.