something maybe of interest from the javaparser gitter channel today:

ptitjes
Some numbers that are not on the bar graphs: Parsing JavaParser 2.5.1 with ANTLR4's Java 1.7 grammar takes **~115ms** and with ANTLR4's Java 1.8 grammar takes **15s** !! I had a discussion with Terence Parr, and he told me the 1.7 grammar is highly optimized but nobody has optimized the 1.8 one yet. Nevertheless, I find that 115ms is a lot, especially considering it just spits out a parse tree and not the AST directly...

So if you base your grammar on the 1.8 one and the above is right, then I am not sure you will accomplish better performance.