Sorry if outsiders are not meant to chime in :)

Why not
 - 2.5 as Cédric proposed (so Java 7 + macros)
 - 3.0 with Java 8 and Parrot
 - 4.0 with Java 9 and Jigsaw?

This way Groovy versions and Java versions are nicely aligned. To let
people try Parrot early, there could be a 3.0 early access release that
only replaces the antlr2-based parser with Parrot and bumps the required
Java version to 8.