A discussion worth having and we already do some of this, e.g. take a look
at ASTNode and NodeMetaDataHandler in master.
Just a reminder, 2.6 is still jdk7 capable. Groovy 3+ is JDK8 minimum, so
the changes would be in 3+.
For me, it's lower priority than some other things (including getting 2.5,
2.6 and 3 out the door). I think wholesale changes
of that kind would be a great refactoring for 3.1 but I'm disinclined to
have any more branches right now, so I'd hold off
for a little bit. But if there is a good reason to we can start some such
changes.

Incidentally, I did some quick fixes to get the binary compatibility report
working again late last year after it being
off for a while due to some dependency conflicts. There are some things to
fix in that report but I also
noticed that changes like the above were being flagged - methods "moved" up
the hierarchy were being flagged
as missing. Does anyone know how to hush those? Is there a setting for
japicmp?

Cheers, Paul.