Re: quick startup time: also consider GroovyServ[1]. It pre-dates the
gradle daemon, but is a similar concept some folks might be familiar with.

Re: Bundling a JVM: it is certainly doable but we'd likely do that in the
broader community outside ASF unless someone else solves the GPL licensing
issue on most JVM artifacts.

Re: GraalVM: that is something we want to make easier for Groovy 4 but in
the first instance tackling a subset of Groovy (e.g. CompileStatic code)
rather than the arbitrary scripts I'd envisage for scripting.

Re: Groovy for OS scripting: this has certainly been an area which Groovy
has historically excelled in compared to other JVM alternatives. There is
no doubt scope for improving things though. It might pay to see if there is
anything we can learn from initiatives like JBang[2] which seem very active
recently.

Cheers, Paul.

[1] https://kobo.github.io/groovyserv/
[2] https://github.com/jbangdev/jbang