Ever since Linux Foundation started pushing the COC gags into ASF projects I kept wondering if people won't behave in civil manner - just like Paul has alluded to - unless they are explicitly told how to be good boys and girls?

Let me ask a perhaps naive but a very honest question: why do we really need a COC? The ASF has some sort of it in the books already, why do we need a separate one?

Is it because Microsoft's github requires a checkmark due to their virtue signaling being blown out of proportions? Or is it something else that I am missing?

If you prefer a private reply - be my guest. I really want to know. Thank you!
----
With regards,
  Cos