Thanks for the reply.  So if I use an AutoCloseable, I would have something
like:

class Foo {
  private state
  def bar() {
    def temp = state
    state = newState
    try ({ -> state = temp } as AutoCloseable) { // or rewrite this line using
withCloseable
      baz()
    }
  }
}

In my case, Foo is something that visits the elements of a tree or list.  I
don't want to create a new instance to visit each element.  bar represents a
method that advances to the next element and baz (maybe from super type)
processes the next element set in "state".  state is a field or property so I
am expecting the assignments to live inside the bar method's scope.

My goal is to eliminate repetitious typing of assigning the current value to a
temporary variable, assigning the next value to the field and at the end
restoring the previous value.