MG, thanks for bringing this up! I hope you don't mind my potentially
hijacking your thread to briefly agree with one of your points and then
expand on one of the others you brought up...

# Left-nav too narrow

I think your idea of not using the fully qualified names makes a lot of
sense. If someone really is looking at this documentation to see what is
available, we'd want to make it as easy as possible for the eye to scan
over the most distinctive part of each of these. (Namely, the "simple
name".)

# Sample code boxes too narrow

This has bothered me as well and at some point I tried to wrestle with the
groovy-site tooling to do some reformatting but I never got it to the point
where it was ready to submit a PR. Let me briefly describe my idea and if I
don't hear a chorus of "no, that's terrible, we would never merge that",
I'll be happy to do the work.

### My core argument: tables are for figures, not documentation

It certainly appeals to many of our technical minds to make this stuff a
table, but it's really just not an effective choice for documenting
anything that will contain more than a few words in any given cell. I
submit the following examples of comparable documentation, which all use
some approximation of a Glossary format