I commented on the relevant picocli issues. The 2.4.x TestNG runner is
being loaded by Groovy 4. This is mostly due to the maven coordinate change
from org.codehaus.groovy to org.apache.groovy. When switching to Groovy 4,
you will want to exclude the org.codehaus.groovy references to Groovy. You
can set up a Gradle build file to convert such clashes automatically but it
is probably just as easy to exclude explicitly.

Cheers, Paul.