The enum approach plays well with other (much smaller) enums, gives us version control, compile time checks & type safe access inside of Groovy, Groovy logic (e.g. fallback values), Intellisense, and makes the data easily editable inside IntelliJ (including commenting), so it imho handily beats all more conventional alternative approaches :-)

PS: We do write many of our enums into our different DB schemas eventually, were they get historized by our standard mechanism, but that is for sharing it with consumers of our service, not as the editable source of truth.