For better or for worse, Dalvik was changed long ago to ignore exception
priorities. We get exception messages for NPEs and save branches. The full
set of deltas are here:

http://www.google.com/codesearch?q=multiple+errors+lang:java+package:git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/dalvik.git

2009/11/17 Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>

> I don't argue changing exception order for a particular case if the
> change improves code simplicity and gives performance benefit on
> important real load, e.g. the change improved Eclipse startup time by
> 4%.

I think the primary difference in our thinking is how much we value
exception priority consistency. I don't believe it has any value and
therefore we're imposing an unnecessary constraint on our code. Does anyone
have a real world example, (perhaps a bugreport) demonstrating where
exception priority incompatibility has caused grief?