Hortonworks HDP uses passwordless ssh.  (
https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.4.0.1/bk_ambari-installation/content/set_up_password-less_ssh.html
).

I have used it on AWS and other cloud and virtual environments with no
issue.  On AWS we use the internal network for passwordless ssh access.
The public address changes, but the internal network stays the same.

I know of a number of Hadoop ecosystem vendors that use passwordless ssh.
So your assertion that Hawq is the only Hadoop based platform using it is
not true.    However, that does not mean that there are not benefits in
figuring out how to get the software to work without passwordless.  Someone
would have to make a determination of how important that capability is
versus other priorities.

James Campbell
Data Engineer
Pivotal Software