Regarding HDFS-347, I believe the following to be true:

  - The "bastard" option, i.e. Ryan's patch against 0.20 that just does local
reads via File, does lower latency enough to make a difference in HBase random
read latencies as measured. I forget the magnitude of the difference offhand
but seem to remember something like at least 2x. Can't say about the FD-passing
variant because I don't think any HBasers have used it. I want to test both
myself, but am limited to EC2 based testbeds so will have a lot of difficulty
(to say the least) correcting for platform variability, so it's pretty far down
the to-do list as a result.

  - HBASE-SEARCH (HBASE-3529) uses this to make Lucene embedding work:
https://github.com/jasonrutherglen/HBASE-SEARCH

    - Andy