Hi there-

1)      Buffer/Batch

Addressing the comment in the Cloudera ticket (FLUME-390) "currently
non-written events are lost.", I agree that two paths (write-buffer vs.
batch-it-yourself) are available for Flume to recover from a failure and
know what hasn't been sent (or what was at least attempted to be sent).

Thus, I don't see this an "HBase issue".  There are existing APIs for
Flume to utilize that will get the job done.

2)      Retry-forver.

I've seen several folks vote -1 on retry-forever as default behavior.
Based on the conversation I'm assuming this won't happen.

Are there other aspects to this issue?  I doesn't seem like any HBase
changes are needed to address these issues.