Be very careful about code-changes that causes compilation failures upon
upgrade.  Once in a while that may happen on a major upgrade, but it had
better be for a very good, explainable, reason that the community is
behind.

A fourth option is to add Javadoc to the explaining what this method does
and not add any new methods.