On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Ted Yu <yuzhih...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Such effort tends to last several months. So a little touch up now and then
> is healthy for the final integration of the features.
>
> The above is my personal opinion.

My opinion: it's up to those who want a feature to get integrated to
make sure it's integratable. That means:
- fits codebase style
- get agreement on architecture/approach if it's a big patch or
changes/adds APIs
- write sufficient tests
- do testing on a real cluster (at least a few nodes) if it involves
distributed operations

Those who "want a feature" might be just the contributor, just a
committer, or some combination of the above. But if a contributor
shows up with a feature that isn't high priority for any committers, I
don't think any of us have a responsibility to do the above _for_
them. We _do_ have a responsibility to make the above guidelines clear
and apply them equally regardless of who the contributor happens to
be. (eg if Facebook shows up with a patch that doesn't have unit
tests, we should treat them the same as an unknown contributor)

The above isn't in reference to the patch that started this discussion
-- just my opinions on how successful open source works.

I'm probably less idealistic than some other folks -- IMO our time
contribution to HBase isn't charity. We do it because our businesses
rely on it (either directly or indirectly), and thus we should expect
that everyone acts mostly with self-interest. Our self-interest of
course is highly aligned with the success and stability of the
project, which is why this all tends to work out!

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera