On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 9:13 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:

> -1 on our working on stuff to make it easier to skip intermediary
> versions.  Migrations are hard enough going between particular
> versions already.  Support for skipping versions seems like a waste of
> our time (For the historians in the audience, see our migration doc.
> 'General Migration Notes' [1] where we are explicit that you must step
> up through the versions -- you can't skip versions upgrading).

Yes and no... from our CDH perspective, if 0.94.x is out by the time
we need to get CDH4 "GA", then we'll skip from 0.90.x in CDH3 to
0.94.x in CDH4, and hence we need an upgrade path. So if upstream
doesn't support it, we'll have to hack it in as a CDH special. That's
fine -- but if there's no change that forces us to break
compatibility, why break it?

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon