>>1) The trunk has more master work.  Specifically 89-master related
>> features that we implemented for our grid architecture.
>
>You have a list of issues Nicolas?

We have a list, but it's non-trivial.  You're more than welcome to help if
you want. :)

>> 2) Client/Server compatibility.  Even if we upgraded the servers to
>> 94/96/whatever, we still will have a lot of clients running 89 & we
>>can't
>> simply stop/start all of them at the same time.  We need 89/trunk RPC
>> compat for client/server.
>
>An 0.89 client should be able to talk to a 0.94+ server?

That's what we'll need.  I'm assuming that we're the only ones who will
need this functionality, since we're the only ones who deployed
extensively on HBase
during that timeframe.  However, it's still a major hindrance to upgrade.

>The talk was of removing old code if no longer needed; i.e you should
>not have the condition you describe above of having to have an hfilev1
>reader during upgrade if we had it that you couldn't start an upgrade
>w/o first purging hfilev1s.

Unfortunately, we do have production clusters running with HFileV1.  This
is actually a result of us experimenting with non-89 versions (0.90)
instead of waiting to upgrade.  The other problem is that upgrading a
production cluster will cause long downtime.  We currently have a
5-min SLA agreement.