@Stack, Jonathan: thank you for your replies.

After some more internal discussion, we decided it might not be too hard
for us to implement stubs in our version of HDFS to accommodate the new API
requirements on the HBase side.

Putting some of the HDFS multi-version support plumbing in HFileSystem
sounds like a good idea going forward, though, even if we are removing
support for some of the versions.

Thanks,
--Mikhail