Well, the first answer is always the same: read the code! :)

Of course, sometimes it's difficult to get the high level concepts quickly that
way (even with good docs, like the HBase code generally has). So I'd recommend
seeing the upcoming talk by committer Lars Hofhansl at HBaseCon on
Tuesday--that's exactly what it's about! It's called "HBase Internals".

If you're not attending, I'm sure they'll post slides (and maybe video?)
afterwards.

Ian