Client library style stuff is _nice_ but one of the things everyone asks of
database is that we provide an index (cassandra has it, riak has it, mysql
has it...hbase doesn't? Yes, different systems,etc.,etc., but the point is
we could do it). Further, if we build it as a part of hbase, we can make it
faster... though don't ask me the _how_ on that yet ;)

Talking with Lars, we could provide a lot of the indexing infrastructure,
but leave the actual indexing (convert row|cf|cq|ts|value to an index value
and vice-versa) to a client library gives us a lot of the flexibility that
people would need. And I take it that most people already have some form of
indexing already (be it consistent or not), so we can do it 'the right way'
in terms of queries, etc. and provide pluggable infrastructure (with a
decent default) so people can roll in their own implementations.

That said, I think we can do secondary indexing without too many changes to
HBase (region co-location/pinning that Ted suggests would just be sweet
overall)arguing for a client library. However, if we decide this is one of
the things we want to support going forward as a project, then it makes
more sense to do it as part of HBase, rather than pointing people to some
guy/gal's website with the information (which may or may not be up to date)
for how munge indexing in. Instead, it would be so much nicer to just flip
a couple switches, maybe plug in a couple of classes and have indexing
_just work_.

Just my $0.02

-Jesse
Jesse Yates