This really looks like the issue we got that prompted applying HBASE-5898.

Never heard about the rumor.

If you can isolate the region that exhibits the issue, put it on a
region server by itself and patch that region server to see if it
fixes the issue.

Also, can you confirm that you are running java 1.6 u16?

Thx,

J-D