in Hadoop proto files are compiled on every build, thus we require protoc
install. currently we use the exec plugin to run protoc, but we may be
switching soon to a maven plugin for protoc (still requires protoc
installed). More info at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9117

Thx

--
Alejandro