I remember to trying the classifiers approach, and cannot getting it to
work, but I don't remember the specifics. If we can get it working, than I
would vote for the specifiers option as long as it also works with test
jars, and maven deploy.
I think it was in this issue:

I can't see the classifier in the published pom:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/avro/avro/1.7.3/avro-1.7.3.pom

Enis