I spent some time this weekend extracting bits of our serialization code to
a public github repo at http://github.com/hotpads/data-tools.
 Contributions are welcome - i'm sure we all have this stuff laying around.

You can see I've bumped into the NULL problem in a few places:
*
https://github.com/hotpads/data-tools/blob/master/src/main/java/com/hotpads/data/primitive/lists/LongArrayList.java
*
https://github.com/hotpads/data-tools/blob/master/src/main/java/com/hotpads/data/types/floats/DoubleByteTool.java

Looking back, I think my latest opinion on the topic is to reject
nullability as the rule since it can cause unexpected behavior and
confusion.  It's cleaner to provide a wrapper class (so both LongArrayList
plus NullableLongArrayList) that explicitly defines the behavior, and costs
a little more in performance.  If the user can't find a pre-made wrapper
class, it's not very difficult for each user to provide their own
interpretation of null and check for it themselves.

If you reject nullability, the question becomes what to do in situations
where you're implementing existing interfaces that accept nullable params.
 The LongArrayList above implements List<Long> which requires an add(Long)
method.  In the above implementation I chose to swap nulls with
Long.MIN_VALUE, however I'm now thinking it best to force the user to make
that swap and then throw IllegalArgumentException if they pass null.