Ah, I didn't even realize sql allowed null key parts.  Maybe a goal of the
interfaces should be to provide first-class support for custom user types
in addition to the standard ones included.  Part of the power of hbase's
plain byte[] keys is that users can concoct the perfect key for their data
type.  For example, I have a lot of geographic data where I interleave
latitude/longitude bits into a sortable 64 bit value that would probably
never be included in a standard library.