bq. The IBM JRE supplies Unsafe, but apparently it doesn't work

Can you give us a bit more detail (in this case, UnsafeComparer) ? Is there
a BUG associated with it ?

If there is a known procedure / test by which we can tell whether
UnsafeComparer
works or not, that would help make the decision of switching to pure Java
comparer.

Cheers