> Thanks for adding it there -- I really think it is a big headline caveat on
> my expectation of "eventual consistency".  Other systems out there that
> give you eventually consistency on the millisecond level for most cases,
> while this initial implementation would has eventual mean 10's of minutes
> or even handfuls of minutes behind (with the snapshots flush mechanism)!

> There are a handful of other things in the phase one part of the
> implementation section that limit the usefulness of the feature to a
> certain kind of constrained hbase user.  I'll start another thread for
> those.

Yes, hopefully we will not stop with only phase 1, and continue to
implement
the more-latent async wal replication and/or wal tailing. However phase 1
will get us
to the point of demonstrating that replicated regions works, the client
side of execution
is manageable, and there is real benefit for read-only or bulk loaded
tables plus some
specific use cases for read/write tables.

> > We are proposing to implement "Region snapshots" first and "Async wal
> > replication" second.
> > As argued, I think wal-tailing only makes sense with WALpr so, that work
> is
> > left until after we have WAL
> > per region.
> >

> This is our main disagreement -- I'm not convinced that wal tailing only
> making sense for the wal per region hlog implementation.  Instead of
> bouncing around hypotheticals, it sounds like I'll be doing more
> experiments to prove it to myself and to convince you. :)

That would be awesome! Region grouping or other related proposals for
efficient wal tailing
deserves it's own design doc(s).

> > I think that would be great.  Back when we did snapshots, we had active
> development against a prototype and spent a bit of time breaking it down
> into manageable more polished pieces that had slightly lenient reviews.
>  This exercise really helped us with our interfaces.  We committed code to
> the dev branch which limited merge pains and diff for modifications made by
> different contributors.  In the end when we had something we were happy
> with on the dev branch we merged with trunk and fixed bugs/diffs that
> cropped up in the mean time.  I'd suggest a similar process for this.

Agreed. We can make use of the previous best practices. Shame that we still
do not have read-write git repo.