Hi,

Last week we started some discussion[4] for merging branch hbase-10070[1]
into trunk. It seems like the consensus there is to do the merge sooner
rather than later.

We had branched hbase-10070 in Feb out of trunk[5]. The branch contains 55
jiras committed[2]. Out of these 55, 15 has already been committed to trunk
and backported to hbase-10070 branch[3].

This VOTE is for merging back the remaining changes in branch to trunk. If
passes, we will rebase the branch on top of current trunk, in which we will
keep the commit-per-issue log history. After that we will do a git merge
for the branch keeping the history clean and not squashing the commits. I
expect rebasing to be straightforward, however with some manual conflict
resolution. After the merge we'll keep running the tests to make sure
everything is ok.

An overview of the changes, and the status of the work can be found under
[4], [6] and [7].In summary, with the code in branch, you can create tables
with region replicas, do gets / multi gets and scans using TIMELINE
consistency with high availability. Region replicas periodically scan the
files of the primary and pick up flushed / committed files. The RPC paths /
assignment, balancing etc are pretty stable. However some more performance
analysis and tuning is needed. Phase 2 work is being worked on under
HBASE-11183, and we have some working prototype for async-replicating and
region splits. However, we believe even without those features, this work
is useable (especially for read-only/bulk load tables) , and can be
released as an experimental feature in 1.0.

Please indicate your choice:

[ ] +1 on yes, merge branch hbase-10070 to trunk.
[ ] 0 on don't care
[ ] -1 don't merge, because ...

I'll keep the vote running for 7 days, and close it Mon 9th of June, PDT.

Here is my official +1.

Thanks,
Enis

[1]