When we merged snapshots branch in we did this:

t = trunk commit
s = snapshot branch commit
m = merge point.

During work:
|  s3
|  s2
|  s1
|/

During after merge:
m  (essentially empty merge patch).
t \
t |
t |
| s4* (fixups due to the merge)
| s3
| s2
| s1
|/

Does your proposal mean you are going to do this instead?

s3* (modified due to rebase)
s2* (modified due to rebase)
s1
| s (now dead hbase-10070 branch)
|/

If it is the then we should probably have a review of the modified patches.
 If it the same as the snapshot merge, then we just need a review of the
merge point delta (as well as a full review).

Personally I prefer the merge for these large feature branches -- it
guarantees that each commit is compilable, and reflects what you guys have
been testing for a while.  If you go with the last approach you might have
stuff broken, and in the mainline commit path.

Jon.

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// j...@cloudera.com // @jmhsieh