I was hoping to get some initial comments before attaching patches for the
build boat.

I have broken the entire code into 5 patch sets, layered in a sequnce, each
focusing on a particular area (public headers/JNI
implementation/Examples+unit test, etc) for the ease of review.

https://reviews.apache.org/r/23175/
https://reviews.apache.org/r/23176/
https://reviews.apache.org/r/23177/
https://reviews.apache.org/r/23178/
https://reviews.apache.org/r/23179/

These are also available as a sequence of patches as the pull request
<https://github.com/apache/hbase/pull/1>.

Only the last patch hooks everything to the HBase build process
(optionally) and hence I was thinking of squashing these separate patches
into a single patch to be submitted for build.