Apparently the signoff feature was added for the benefit of Linux's
"Certificate of Origin" requirements. By using the same mechanism, are we
implying that we follow the same guidelines in its use? I don't think it's
common for a committer to assert the OSS validity of the contribution, or
that the contributor has completed the Apache ICLA.

http://gerrit.googlecode.com/svn/documentation/2.0/user-signedoffby.html