This is a potential answer to my question  here
<http://apache-hbase.679495.n3.nabble.com/view-decoded-thrift-in-hbase-shell-td4064130.html>

that I never got a response to. I assume it is the only way...

Anyways... I would like to build my own hbase shell command. I have not
found relevant documentation explaining this. (perhaps I've missed it). To
do this, I have copied

$HBASE_HOME/libexec/lib/ruby/shell/commands/get.rb

$HBASE_HOME/libexec/lib/ruby/shell/commands/foo.rb

Additionally, I changed the class to: class Foo < Command as well as the
methods:
      def command(table, row, *args)
        foo(table(table), row, *args)
      end

      def foo(table, row, *args)

and the addition to the shell:
#add get command to table
::Hbase::Table.add_shell_command('foo')

>From the getting started samples, I run this:
1.8.7-p357 :003 > get 'test','row1'
COLUMN                         CELL

 cf:a                          timestamp=1411441874803, value=value1

1 row(s) in 0.0210 seconds

1.8.7-p357 :004 > foo 'test','row1'
NoMethodError: undefined method `foo' for #<Object:0x205eb650>

What else do I need to do?