On Oct 5, 2014, at 11:01 PM, lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> - rack IO throttle. We should add that to accommodate for over subscription
>>> at the ToR level.
>> Can you decipher that, Lars?
>
> ToR is "Top of Rack" switch. Over subscription means that a ToR switch
> usually does not have enough bandwidth to serve traffic in and out of rack at
> full speed.
> For example if you had 40 machines in a rack with 1ge links each, and the ToR
> switch has a 10ge uplink, you'd say the ToR switch is 4 to 1 over subsctribed.
>

> Was just trying to say: "Yeah, we need that" :)

Hmmm.

Rough math…  using 3.5” SATA II (7200 RPM) drives … 4 drives would max out
1GbE.  So then  a server with 12 drives would max out 3Gb/S. Assuming 3.5”
drives. 2.5” drives and SATAIII would push this up.
So in theory you could get 5Gb/S or more from a node.

16 serves per rack… (again YMMV based on power, heat, etc … ) thats 48Gb/S and
up.

If you had 20 servers and they had smaller (2.5” drives) 5Gb/S x 20 = 100Gb/S.

So what’s the width of the fabric?  (YMMV based on ToR)

I don’t know why you’d want to ‘throttle’ because the limits of the ToR would
throttle you already.

Of course I’m assuming that you’re running a M/R job that’s going full bore.

Are you seeing this?
I would imagine that you’d have a long running job maxing out the I/O and
seeing a jump in wait CPU over time.

And what’s the core to spindle ratio?