Returning all cells to a client is the other extreme and I don't think that
would be a great test either.

Personally I think for testing big change sets well we need a range of
workloads. The extreme cases (filter all, filter none) are useful data points
but not great if measured in isolation. I think YCSB is a reasonable option for
that these days now that it is maintained. It comes with 6 or so canned
workloads. Not a bad start.