     From: Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
 To: "dev@hbase.apache.org" <dev@hbase.apache.org>
Cc: "priv...@hbase.apache.org" <priv...@hbase.apache.org>
 Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2015 6:15 PM
 Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] Switching from RTC to CTR

I appreciate very much the earlier feedback about switching from RTC to
CTR. It helped me think about the essential thing I was after.

I'm thinking of making a formal proposal to adopt this, with a VOTE:

> After posting a patch to JIRA, after one week if there is no review or
veto, a committer can commit their own work.

It's important we discuss this and have a vote because the default
Foundation decision making process (
http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html) does not allow what would
amount to lazy consensus when RTC is in effect. Should my proposal pass, we
would arrive at a hybrid policy that is identical to the default Foundation
one *until* one week has elapsed after a code change is proposed. Then, for
a committer, for that one code change, they would be able to operate using
CTR. I think the HBase PMC is empowered to set this kind of policy for our
own project at our option. If you feel I am mistaken about that, please
speak up. Should the vote pass I will run it by board@ for review to be
sure.

We'd document this in the book:
https://hbase.apache.org/book.html#_decisions

Also, looking at https://hbase.apache.org/book.html#_decisions, I don't
think the "patch +1 policy" should remain because the trial OWNERS concept
hasn't worked out, IMHO. The OWNERS concept requires a set of constantly
present and engaged owners, a resource demand that's hard to square with
the volunteer nature of our community. The amount of time any committer or
PMC member has on this project is highly variable day to day and week to
week.  I'm also thinking of calling a VOTE to significantly revise or
strike this section.

Both of these things have a common root: Volunteer time is a very precious
commodity. Our community's supply of volunteer time fluctuates. I would
like to see committers be able to make progress with their own work even in
periods when volunteer time is in very short supply, or when they are
working on niche concerns that simply do not draw sufficient interest from
other committers. (This is different from work that people think isn't
appropriate - in that case ignoring it so it will go away would no longer
be an option, a veto would be required if you want to stop something.)