> On 7 Oct 2015, at 07:29, Masatake Iwasaki <iwasak...@oss.nttdata.co.jp> wrote:
>
> Thanks for clear summary, Tsuyoshi.
>
> I read some related past discussions.
>
>  https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/MovingToJdk7and8
>  http://search-hadoop.com/m/uOzYtGSiCs1acRnh
>  http://search-hadoop.com/m/uOzYthdWJqpGdSZ1
>
> Though there seems to be no consensus about when to drop java 7 support yet,
> it would not be 2.8 for which the preparation is already started.
> If the works for making source compatible with java 8 does not result in
> dropping java 7 support, it would be nice and easy to backport to branch-2.
>

> > we need to upgrade grizzly to 2.2.16 to use
> > jersey-test-framework-grizzly2. I’d like to discuss which version we
> > will target this change. Can we do this in branch-2?
>
> At lease, the newest grizzly, jersey and asm seems to support java 7 too
> and HADOOP-11993 may work in branch-2.

Certainly for trunk, I'm +1 for making the leap. For branch 2, how backwards
compatible/incompatible is the change?

I think we'd have to test it downstream; I can use slider & spark as test
builds locally —YARN apps are the failure points. Someone else would have to
try HBase.

In that world, we could think of having a short-lived branch-2-java-8 branch,
which cherry picks the grizzly changes from trunk, and which we can then use
for that downstream testing