what operation do you have going on the HMaster?
I did a simple test where there are no operation going on and poll doesn't
get out of the waitCond.await()
so unless you have operations on the master you'll never call queue.poll()

or maybe, there's a bug and the previous ops where hanging and trigger a
loop.
what did you executed on the master before?
do you have a script or something that I can use to reproduce this?

Matteo