The 1st HBase 0.98.16 release candidate (RC0) is available for download at
http://people.apache.org/~apurtell/0.98.16RC0/ and Maven artifacts are also
available in the temporary repository
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1118/ .

This release does not contain a doc update. Usually I copy back docs from
master. This time I encountered a build error, reported on HBASE-14792.
This isn't a critical (or even major) issue for any given release since doc
updates for 0.98 are rare now, but should be fixed for the next release.

The API compatibility report with respect to the previous release can be
found at
http://people.apache.org/~apurtell/0.98.15_0.98.16RC0_compat_report.html .
There are no reported binary or source compatibility issues with
user facing public or LimitedPrivate interfaces. Users should not be
implementing the HConnection interface so will not be impacted by the
addition of a new abstract method.

Signed with my code signing key D5365CCD.

The 47 issues resolved in this release can be found at
http://s.apache.org/Xbv .

Please try out the candidate and vote +1/0/-1. This vote will be open for
at least 72 hours. Unless objection I will try to close it Monday October
16, 2015 if we have sufficient votes. Three +1 votes from PMC will be
required to release.

   - Andy

(via Tom White)