Ahh.. if I had mentioned it earlier, there wouldn't have been any confusion.

So the thing is, earlier patches (up to v6) are deleting the functions which
take byte[] or String as argument.
These are like 15 or so 'useless' functions and I believe it's okay to
delete them.

Later I updated the patch (v7-v8) to mark them deprecated (instead of
deleting) to decouple that jira from discussion [1]

@Andrew: which patch did you look at? Can you please confirm your take on
this.

Thanks.

[1]