Infa recently announced on infrastructure@ that, following direction from
the Board, ASF git is now allowing force pushes and branch/tag deletion
again. In accordance with the guidance given by the Board there are some
policy changes you should be aware of:

   - First, if a forced commit is pushed, the subsequent commit email to
   commits@ will contain '[Forced Update!]' in the subject line. The hope
   here is that it draws extra attention to the situation for a project
   community tobe aware, and take appropriate action if needed.

   - Second, the 'protected' Git ref-space is now refs/tags/rel/* . Any
   tags under rel/, can be assured to carry the complete immutable commit
   history which lead up to the commit. This provides the provenance that the
   ASF needs for releases. Otherwise projects can mold their repository ref
   structure any way they see fit. When a release vote is successful part of
   the release process should include tagging the voted upon commit SHA under
   rel/ to make it indelible. ('# git tag rel/v15.4.2 ' or something similar.)

Let's incorporate the second point into our release process immediately. We
can also go back and add corresponding tags in refs/tags/rel/ for all of
our past releases. Unless there are any objections I will take care of this
housekeeping later this week.

   - Andy

(via Tom White)