"It might be more useful to produce a script that, given a set of versions
for { Hadoop, HBase, ZK } downloads the respective tarballs and stitches
together a HBase deployment tarball with all necessary jar substitutions
made, and perhaps the copy of Hadoop native library artifacts into the
expected location under HBase's lib, etc. If that still seems like too much
work for someone, I don't have a good answer for that."

That sounds like a custom version of Bigtop to me? Might if we want to
actively encourage more people to use
Apache distribution of HBase making a specialized "HBase-centric" (?)
Puppet recipe in Bigtop or something similar is the proper way to address
it.

-Mikhail

--
Thanks,