(Moved out of the Master doing MR DISCUSSION)

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 12:24 PM, Vladimir Rodionov <vladrodio...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >>  -1 on that backup be in core hbase
>
> Not sure I understand what it means.
>
> Sorry for the imprecision.

The -1 is NOT against backup/restore. I am -1 on MR as a dependency and so
-1 on the Master running backup/restore MR jobs, even if optional.

Master should not depend on MR. We've gone out of our way to avoid taking
MR on as dependency in the past. Seems late in the game for us to change
our opinion on this. If we didn't do it for distributed log splitting, or
MOB, why would we do it to support an optional backup/restore?

I have opinions on the questions below -- i.e. that Master running
backup/restore is outside of the Master's charge -- but they are not worth
much since I've not done much by way of review or contrib to backup/restore
other than to try it as a 'user' so I'll keep them to myself until I do. I
only came out from under my shell to participate on the MR as dependency
chat.

Thanks,

1. We are not allowed to use Master to orchestrate the whole process?

We
> have already brought up all advantages of using
>    Master and distributed procedures for backup and restore.
>

> Downside of moving this to client tool is lack of fault tolerance:
>  1.1 Client won't be allowed to do any operations, that can, potentially
> affect
> cluster, such as disabling splits/merges, balancer.
>  1.2 In case of client failure who will be doing the whole rollback stuff?
> We are trying to make it atomic.
>
> Security is not clear.

2. We are not allowed to modify code of existing HBase core classes (what