I checked the last QA report on this issue and, while the findbugs and unit
test results were red, there was nothing that would indicate the site build
would fail.

Am I missing something?

Is the only way we will know if a change will break the site build is to run a
site build before every check in?

If so, that won't work out well. Can we add a site check to precommit?