Thanks for the updates! I will review when I have time.

On 2/17/17, 4:16 PM, "Umesh Agashe" <uaga...@cloudera.com> wrote:

    Hi,

    Here is the doc that summarizes our discussion about why we think top-down
    approach requiring radical code changes compared to incremental, phased
    (bottom-up) approach will help us REDO of FS directory layout.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/128Q0BqJY7OvHMUpEpZWKCaBrH1qDjpxxOVkX2KM46No/edit#heading=h.iyja9q78fh2j

    Thanks,
    Umesh

    On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 12:57 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:

> [...]
    > Found that we might not get to desired simple Interface because API had to
    > carry around baggage.
    > Matteo had tried this approach in [1] and started to argue this stepped
    > migration would never arrive.
    >
    > So restarted over w/ the ideal Simple FS Interface and the implementation
    > seemed to flow smoothly.
    > An in-memory POC that did simple file ops was posted a while back here
[2].

    > Given the two approaches taken above, experience indicates that the
    > radical, top-down approach is more likely to succeed.
    >
    > WHY ARE PEOPLE INTERESTED IN FS REDO?
    > Francis and Ben Mau, we want to be able to do 1M regions.
    > St.Ack suggested that even small installs need to be able to do more,
    > smaller regions.
    > Zach is interested because wants to optimize HBase over S3 (rename,
    > consistency issues). Liked the idea of metadata up in hbase;meta table and
    > avoiding renames, etc.
    >
    > WHAT SHOULD WE DO?
    > We have few resources. It is a big job (We've been talking about it a good
    > while now). All docs are stale missing benefit of Umesh recent
    > explorations.
    > Sean pointed out that before shelving, the idea was to try the PoC
    > Interface against a new hbase operation other than simple file reading and
    > writing (compactions?). If the PoC Interface survived in the new context,
    > we'd then step back and write up a design.
    > Seemed like as good a plan as any. Plan should talk about all the ways in
    > which ops can go wrong.
    > Thereafter, split up the work and bring over subsystems.
    > It is looking like hbase3 rather than hbase2 project (though all hoped it
    > could make an hbase2).
    >
    > TODOs
    > We agreed to post these notes with pointers to current state of FS REDO
    > (See below).
    > Umesh and Stack to do up a one-pager on current PoC to be posted on this
    > thread or up in the FS REDO issue (HBASE-14090).
    > Keep up macro status on this thread.
    >
    > What else?
    > Thanks,
    >
    > 1. Matteo's original FS REDO suggested plan: https://docs.google.com/
    > document/d/1fMDanYiDAWpfKLcKUBb1Ff0BwB7zeGqzbyTFMvSOacQ/edit#
    > 2. Umesh's PoC: https://reviews.apache.org/r/55200/
    > 3. HBASE-14090 is the parent issue for this project?
    > 4. An old doc. to evangelize the idea of an FS REDO (mostly upstreaming
    > Matteo's ideas): https://docs.google.com/document/d/
    > 10tSCSSWPwdFqOLLYtY2aVFe6iCIrsBk4Vqm8LSGUfhQ/edit#
    >

    > On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 9:53 AM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
    >
    > > I put up a hangout. If above link doesn't work, try this
    > > https://hangouts.google.com/call/aaahkufdurgctflufw4ivhsngue and write
    > > here if can't get in.
    > >
    > > St.Ack
    > >
    > > On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 12:36 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >> A few folks want to have a quick chat about the state of the proposed
FS