Let me revive this thread.

Recall, we are stuck on old or particular versions of critical libs. We are
unable to update because our versions will clash w/ versions from
upstreamer hadoop2.7/2.8/3.0/spark, etc. We have a shaded client. We need
to message downstreamers that they should use it going forward.  This will
help going forward but it will not inoculate our internals nor an existing
context where we'd like to be a compatible drop-in.

We could try hackery filtering transitive includes up in poms for each
version of hadoop/spark that we support but in the end, its a bunch of
effort, hard to test, and we are unable to dictate the CLASSPATH order in
all situations.

We could try some shading voodoo inline w/ build. Because shading is a
post-package step and because we are modularized and shading includes the
shaded classes in the artifact produced, we'd end up w/ multiple copies of
guava/netty/etc. classes, an instance per module that makes a reference.

Lets do Sean's idea of a pre-build step where we package and relocate
('shade') critical dependencies (Going by the thread above, Ram, Anoop, and
Andy seems good w/ general idea).

In implementation, we (The HBase PMC) would ask for a new repo [1]. In here
we'd create a new mvn project. This project would produce a single artifact
(jar) called hbase-dependencies or hbase-3rdparty or hbase-shaded-3rdparty
libs. In it would be relocated core libs such as guava and netty (and maybe
protobuf). We'd publish this artifact and then have hbase depend on it
changing all references to point at the relocation: e.g. rather than import
com.google.common.collect.Maps, we'd import
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.com.google.common.collect.Maps.

We (The HBase PMC) will have to make releases of this new artifact and vote
on them. I think it will be a relatively rare event.

I'd be up for doing the first cut if folks are game.

St.Ack

1. URL via Sean but for committers to view only: https://reporeq.apache.org/