Some more info, when COMBINED=false, this is what happens:

// L1 and L2 are not 'combined'. They are connected via the LruBlockCache
victimhandler
// mechanism. It is a little ugly but works according to the following:
when the
// background eviction thread runs, blocks evicted from L1 will go to L2
AND when we get
// a block from the L1 cache, if not in L1, we will search L2.

For me, I'd be interested in seeing perf compare. IIRC, when NOT combined,
data blocks coming up into L1 and the being 'victim handled' -- evicted ==
copied -- out to L2 was costly.

St.Ack