Speaking on behalf of one HBase deployment, we do rely on custom filters,
though have so far stayed away from more internal customizations such as
co-processors.  We've gotten the sense over the years that Filters were
fairly stable and seemed more reliable in that sense.  I'd be sad if a
change like this meant that more caution will need to be used in order to
rely on Filters.  I understand that some cleanup may need to happen (e.g.
HBASE-13346) but hope that we can still be conservative in breaking the
Filter apis.