Hi folks,

Currently, HBase hasn’t support SQL syntax yet. Many users who are familiar
with SQL syntax can only query data from HBase via Hive, Impala, Phoenix or
other tools that support SQL syntax. However, some tools are too
complicated to install and need to restart the HBase cluster. Additionally,
there may be side effects that affect raw data. If HBase has a native SQL
querying module which is easy to install without restarting the cluster as
well as not affecting the original data, it would be extremely helpful and
handy for users that are already familiar with SQL syntax.

In HareDB, we have implemented HareQL, and hope that we can contribute some
piece as a module to HBase. See attached document for more details.