Hi folks,

We are facing “IllegalStateException: requestSeek cannot be called on
ReversedKeyValueHeap" when using a reverse scan and the
loadColumnFamiliesOnDemand optimization is enabled. As ReversedKeyValueHeap
doesn't support requestSeek, it seems like the IllegalStateException occurs. I
have already filed this issue to HBASE-20219, please see it for the details.

I tried to add a server-side check to forbid such scans, but as James mentioned
in the Jira, this would have negative implications on performance.

I think the best solution is to make ReversedKeyValueHeap support seek if we
can. What do you guys think about the feasibility of this?

Thanks,
Toshihiro Suzuki